The families and members of NAMI of MIAMI are here to help! We offer understanding to anyone concerned about mental illnesses and the treatment of mental illness.
Mental illnesses are brain disorders that are biologically based medical problems. Untreated, they can cause severe disturbances in thinking, feeling and relating. This results in substantially diminished capacity for dealing with the ordinary demands of life. Mental illness can affect persons of any age and occur in any family. They are not caused by bad parenting and not evidence of weakness of character.
Nami of Miami has been those suffering from mental illness and their families.
We are friends, families and persons with mental illnesses who offer information, support, advocacy and resources for each other.
- To educate, comfort and support families.
- To work for funding and establishment of comfortable, supportive residential facilities conducive to recovery.
- To initiate and support public education for elimination of the stigma surrounding mental illnesses.
- To cooperate with other organizations in achieving these goals.
Advocate at the county, state and national levels for non-discriminatory access to quality healthcare, housing , education and employment for people with mental illness.
- Educate the public about mental illness.
- Work to eliminate the stigma of mental illness.
- Advocate for increased funding for research into the causes and treatment of mental illness.
In our envisioned future mental illness will no longer thwart a person’s fulfillment of his or her potential. With early pinpoint diagnoses, interventions and targeted medications and services there is no pervasive disability. Ultimately, we envision a day when prevention or a cure is found.